Connecting a Cooker
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
RowanGreen
Labourer
Labourer

Connecting a Cooker

by RowanGreen » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:34 am

I'm about to buy a new electric cooker from Argos. The seem to at least expect me to disconect the old one, and probably reconnect the new one. I'm wondering, is this basically something that someone who can wire a plug can handle?

The current cooker is wired in to what seems to be correct wiring (box above cooker with cooker switch and socket with seperate switch, cooker wired into plain box lower down). The fuse (at the fuse box) is currently blown (went with the cooker: when I put a new one in, that blew again and flames came out of the top of the cooker). I have a new fuse ready to put in! Was planning to do it when the cooker is in.

The cooker I'm planning on getting is a Beko D535S. I've gathered I need to save the cable from the old one.

Any comments/advice/things to look out for welcome!

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:49 pm

Generally in a kitchen unless the appliance is fitted with a standard 13 amp plug (and although a single oven may have one, a cooker won't as the hob uses much more than the plug can supply) it must be fitted by a qualified electrician to ensure it complies with regulations.

In principle removal and connection can simple but it could be fiddly and dangerous for the novice. Are you able to ensure the existing cable and supply is sufficient for the new cooker for example?

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:54 am