Connecting new toilet soil pipe to main sewer

Postby curly7000 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:08 am

Can anyone help ? I want to put a toilet upstairs in my house ( main bath and toilet downstairs ) but I am unable to connect the new soil pipe to the existing one so how do I go about connecting the soil to the main sewer pipe?
I can run a pipe under ground to the main sewer at the back of my house but do I need an inspection chamber and how do I fit the soil pipe to the sewer?
Look forward to your replies
Progress to next rank:

Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:39 am

If you are going to connect to a main sewer you must get BR involved.
You will probably need to install a new inspection chamber if there is not one at the proposed connection point.
How about using a saniflo unit so you can connect in 1 1/2" pipe?

Postby eljaybee » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:54 pm

You need to get buildign regs involved however you connect the toilet to the drainage system as a toilet is a "controlled fitting" and unless it is installed by a qualified person who is signed up to a self cerficiation scheme you must make a BRegs application.
Progress to next rank:

Postby TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:27 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!