Conservatory quotes, legal bits and double glazing
Conservatories are a great all-round addition to any home. Find help, advice and information on all aspects of this area.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MothWing
Labourer
Labourer

Conservatory quotes, legal bits and double glazing

by MothWing » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:54 am

hi All,

New here and have a fair few questions for you lovely experts to help me with!

I have been toying with the idea of a conservatory for years, and finally got around to making some real plans at the end of last summer, it will be the whole back of the house, extending as much as it can without requiring planning permission, and I've gone for an edwardian style as that fits with the architecture.

I was thinking of doing it myself (with the help of family and friends as many of them are practical), but then I got a bit stumped as I read somewhere that you have to be a qualified installer to put in double glazed windows? I wonder if this applied to conservatories, and thought it would so have been looking at local suppliers to possibly come and do the job for me.

I have found a company that do conservatories in Cornwall and their quote was reasonable, however if i am allowed legally to do it myself then i would rather. I have heard some nightmare tales about the big named suppliers so thought i would 'go local' as it were if thats the only option available.

Also I have read that people have had issues with heating for their conservatories, with many being told they can't extend central heating etc. I understand that the pipes etc would have to be sorted at the foundation stage, but wondered what my options were for winter heating? I will be having a glass roof.

Thanks for reading!
MW [/url]

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

conservatory

by welsh brickie » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:30 am

you can do the work yourself there is no legal requirement,exept for planning.Also you cant have an open walkway to the conservatory from the house,You must have doors seperating the house from the conservatory.
with regards to fitting especially with glass roof installation you need an expert.
heating you can extend your radiator pipes but may need to install a larger pump and increase size of pipe to 15mm to the radiator.
You can lay the pipes in the floor,when laying the concrete floor, bed a 2x1 batten in the concrete, this can be removed later to intall the pipework.
You may want to consider a aircon unit instead this provides hot as well as cold air.

kingfisherrc
Apprentice
Apprentice

by kingfisherrc » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:06 pm

Regarding the radiator,you should consult planning if you are connecting it to central heating.Electric radiator wouldnt matter though.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:58 am