consumer unit connections+
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
david lee
Labourer
Labourer

consumer unit connections+

Post by david lee » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:49 pm

hi
I am just about to rewire my house and intended to use "split load" consumer unit and intended to connect the new shower(9-5kw) to the RCD protected side using a 40amp MCB(recom by shower manufacturer) but several articles I have read regarding shower installations keep referring to the,"need to fit a seperate RCD unit for this item",I was under the impression from the manufacturer that connection to a consumer unit through the RCD side was correct,any thoughts??????.
Also all articles refer to the ,"shower should be switched locally" and then go on to say,"outside the bathroom"??,I thought a proper double pole switch using a pull cord(led illumination) was acceptable,"inside the bathroom",again any thoughts?????.
Any help would be appreciated

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:39 pm

I think you need a qualified electrician.

Cheers

david lee
Labourer
Labourer

why????

Post by david lee » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:54 am

[quote="rosebery"]I think you need a qualified electrician.

Cheers[/quote]
why do u say that I am an electrician all be it an older one!
It is just that statements made by suppliers/manufacturers seem to differ so widely.
Both questions were simple/strghtforward RCD seperate or part of consumer unit splitload?(on RCD side of course)?
Inside bathroom(with pull switch)or outside depending on what constitutes,"local),

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: why????

Post by rosebery » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:17 pm

"why do u say that I am an electrician all be it an older one!"

Sorry if I was flippant (or appeared so) its just that if you were up to date qualified then you would know the requirements of the 17th edition and that work on your consumer unit and involving electrics in the bathroom (amongst others) including shower is now notifiable under Part P of Building Regs. Qualified can do self certification. If you can satisfy BCO that you are competant and are prepared tp pay their inflated fee you can get the notification completed. What you won't get from BCO is your 17th edn Certificates which you will need when you come to sell to prove the work was done iaw regs. Have you got all the test gear necessary to be able to do this?

"It is just that statements made by suppliers/manufacturers seem to differ so widely."

The OSG is what tells you.

"Both questions were simple/strghtforward RCD seperate or part of consumer unit splitload?(on RCD side of course)?"

On its own RCD.

"Inside bathroom(with pull switch)or outside depending on what constitutes,"local),"

Isolator outside.

Cheers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:35 am