convert indoor pool to habitable space
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pwe169
Labourer
Labourer

convert indoor pool to habitable space

Post by pwe169 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:31 pm

Hi all,
I am converting an indoor pool in to an habitable space. the room is like an open plan bungalow attached to the rear of the house. I intend to go down the route of building notification as the main work I will be doing is covering the pool area, insulating the ceiling, walls and floor to bring the building inline with current regs.

I will be covering the pool with 220 x 50 C16 joists with 100mm overlap at each end fitting into notches cut in the old pool wall. Inbetween the joists I will fit 100mm celotex to give good insulation.

My problem is with conflicting advice around the pool edge. I have about 4 foot al round which is a concrete slab, 40mm screed topped with a 40mm thick 600mm square slab. One person says I can just cover this with my flooring material another says I need to get the old floor up but 75x50 battens down at the same centers as the pool joists, put celotex inbetween these and then cover. When I look at the info on the net it says that I need air circulation under the 75 x 50 joiists.

What should I do?

Pete

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:17 pm

pwe169,
You certainly should cover the whole floor with an insulated layer, whether you need to ventilate under the floor will depend on whether there is a DPM under the existing floor. You will probably have to ventilate the pool area because this will not have a DPM incorporated.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1