Converting a corner chimney breast into a cupboard
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
alancoe
Labourer
Labourer

Converting a corner chimney breast into a cupboard

Post by alancoe » Fri May 30, 2008 10:27 am

Hi,

I am considering converting a corner chimney breast that has been bricked up into a cupboard. The building is a 1930's detached property and the site for the cupboard is on the ground floor. The chimney breast itself is the shape of an equalateral triangle in the corner of the room.

It is my intention to provide support to the chimney using either one or two acro prop's and cutt enough room to install a concrete reinforced lintel and then remove the brickwork below to create the cupboard door opening. Install a door liner and hang the cupboard door.

I would appreciate any advice on what to look out for or consider in advance of this job. Whether there is likely to be a flue in the stack which will need removing and any consideration for further chimney support. How much usable space am I likely to have once the lintel is installed and the the brickwork removed. The front face of the breast is 1200mm wide and the door I want to install is 630mm wide by 1800mm high.

The fireplace upstairs sharing the same stack has also been bricked up and the external part of the chimney still exists as per ther original build. Other than having been bricked up before taking ownership of the house I think it unlikely that any further changes were made to the chimney or its contents.

Any advice appreciated.
Regards,
Alan

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:04 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:48 am