Converting Detached Garage into additional room HELP
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
James1234
Labourer
Labourer

Converting Detached Garage into additional room HELP

by James1234 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:07 pm

Im planning on making better use of my Detached garage. It's approximatly 5.5m by 2.4m and around 2m high. Im planning to build a frame across the floor, up the walls and across the ceiling and putting insulation and dampproofing under the floor then use chipboard and carpet. Same sort of thing for walls, Insulation, damping and then plasterboard and same for ceiling. Im not intending to add windows or adjust anything major. I plan to use as social room so intending on having PC, Surround Sound, Tv, ceiling lighting and mabe electrical heating if needed. Main concern is electricity. There is already electrical sockets inside and all i know is that its a 1KW cable apparantly. I have only small knowledge of electrical business so im looking for advice on what i need to do in order to try make sure i dont burn anything down really. I have friends who although are not qualified know a fair bit but would first like opionion of others. For the whole conversion i really dont have much money. Im estimating £300-£400 for materials mainly timber, Insulation and plasterboard. I have someone to do Skimming cheap at the end. I have never done anythin like this before so any advice on anything that could make it even better then would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:57 pm

James1234,
Do try to create a ventilated cavity all round the room structure - including the floor.
Your reference to a 1kw cable indicates that it is probably wired in 1.0T&E with a 5/6A fuse for the circuit. This will not be enough if you want to use electric heating so you will probably have to instal a new supply to a garage consumer unit (incorporating a RCD).
This work will be under Part P so all the usual warnings apply.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:14 pm