Converting Dimmer to Standard Switch Problem
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

mike_bike_kite
Apprentice
Apprentice

Converting Dimmer to Standard Switch Problem

by mike_bike_kite » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:50 pm

I thought the two bulbs had gone in my son's bedroom so swapped one bulb and tried again. After fiddling with the dimmer for a while the bulb I hadn't swapped flickered on then went out. I figured it must be the dimmer switch itself.

I don't particularly like the dimmers in my house and my teenage son does smack the poor things every now and then so I figured it would be better installing a normal switch.

The existing wiring on the dimmer was:
  • C one blue wire and one black
  • L1 a red wire and a yellow wire
  • L2 a single red wire
I wired it up the same with the new switch but neither light comes on. The fuse isn't blown. I do have a multi-meter if required.

Any ideas?

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Converting Dimmer to Standard Switch Problem

by Mr White » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:39 pm

I will guess as there is no specific rule as to what colour goes where.

Swap L2 with C

And always take pictures.

I will also guess the light can be turned on / off from another location?

mike_bike_kite
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mike_bike_kite » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:28 pm

There's only one switch in the room and two little halogen bulbs in the ceiling. Am I still OK to swap the wires over?

Thanks for replying by the way!

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:12 pm

As I said previously there is no specific rule as to what colour does what or where it should go, but, the fact you have a twin and earth and a 3 core and earth implies there is or was another switch, pull cord perhaps?

Yes, still swap them over (The red must stay as it is now, on its own)

mike_bike_kite
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mike_bike_kite » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:19 am

OK swapped L2 and C over but still no lights. On the plus side I haven't blown all the fuses yet or electrocuted myself!

I was curious about the other switch you mentioned and did eventually find a pull cord hidden at the back of a fitted wardrobe.

Any idea what should I try next?

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:54 pm

The way a 2 way switch is wired (in a nut shell) is one single wire at the top (C)
and two wires in each of the bottom terminals.

So if you had a red single it should be on its own at the top in C (common)
when you swapped L2 and C around, make sure that both wires in L2 are actually making a connection, no harm in checking L1 either.

Since it was working before you changed it, and there are no electronics involved, it has to be a airing configuration error, but you are sure you have them right, so it must be a connection (or not) problem.

Skid Sprocket
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Skid Sprocket » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:44 pm

With a 3 core & earth 2 way switch wiring the yellow should go to the C (common) on both switches with red and blue/black (from the same 3 core cable as yellow) to L1 & L2 and the other 2 wires (from the twin cable) into L1 & L2. This twin cable goes to the light fitting and will not show at the pull switch.

The 3 core cable is really just linking the two switches.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:50 pm

Skid Sprocket wrote:With a 3 core & earth 2 way switch wiring the yellow should go to the C (common) on both switches with red and blue/black (from the same 3 core cable as yellow) to L1 & L2 and the other 2 wires (from the twin cable) into L1 & L2.

Sorry to say but as i have said before, there is no specific rule as to what colour goes where, so to say Yellow must go to the common is not a definitive response, since it depends on what colour who ever wired chose to use.

And since the op did say he had a black and a blue, and a red and yellow already as pairs........

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:52 pm

Mike bike kite. The pull cord you found, any possibility you could gently take its cover off (it will unscrew) and see what colour wire goes to what terminal?

mike_bike_kite
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mike_bike_kite » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:33 pm

I'll have my next attempt tomorrow morning when it's light. I'll have a go at seeing what the connections are to the ceiling switch but it's at the back of a top cupboard and I'm not sure I'll fit.

Would it help clear up things if I used the multimeter on the various wires?

mike_bike_kite
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mike_bike_kite » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:09 am

I've attached a picture of the wiring to the other light switch. It's quite difficult to get too so this is probably the best image I can get. Hope it helps.
Attachments
OtherLightSwitch.jpg

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:02 pm

Sorry, I am busy today, but what happens if you "switch on" the pullcord?

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:41 pm

Looking at that picture & assuming it is joined to your switch, but it doesn't sound right to what you was saying on your connections. IE:
"The existing wiring on the dimmer was:
C one blue wire and one black
L1 a red wire and a yellow wire
L2 a single red wire"

The reason i say this is the pull switch has the red as common "C" & wouldn't work with you connections as the red would have to be in C at your switch

if so & at the switch, take the red from the 3 core & put it in terminal C. Now you have 2 cables left from each cable at the switch. Put the wellow from the 3 core & the red from the twin in L1. Now put the remaining 2 cables in L2 & test.
If its still not working there might be a fault with the pull switch. To test this, take the red & blue out the pull switch & put them together in a conector, test again.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:55 pm

Collectors, I asked mike_bike_kite a question to which he has not replied, I am willing to bet that he will not reply to you either...........considering I asked over 6 months ago.

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:43 pm

[quote="Mr White"]Collectors, I asked mike_bike_kite a question to which he has not replied, I am willing to bet that he will not reply to you either...........considering I asked [b]over 6 months ago. [/b][/quote]

Ah! your right, i just clicked on new posts & for some reason this one came up. Didn't check the date. lol. I take it that the problem was solved or he is no longer with us?. :)

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:01 am