Cooker hood query
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
thompson9100
Labourer
Labourer

Cooker hood query

by thompson9100 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:13 pm

Hi folks - second question I'm afraid!!

In my flat the builders (it's a newbuild) decided to put a dodgy extractor fan near to the cooker (the type you'd have on a wall with a pull cord). It has an isolation switch on the wall at worktop height.

I have purchased a cooker hood from screwfix (the glass one) and it has a plug fitted to the end.

The extractor that I want to take out is rated at 25 watts, and the cooker hood at 230 watts. The cable to the extractor fan is, I believe 2.5mm2, so should be adequate to carry 3amps or more, which I believe is more than adequate for the cooker hood (at 1 amp).

The problem I have is knowing what I can do regarding connecting the hood. I have a loft space above the kitchen, which is where the cable runs for the existing extractor fan.

As the position of the cooker hood means there is plenty of this cable to accomodate it, I was thinking that I may be able to put a switched socket on the end, and locate it in the loft space (on the upper side of the plasterboard as it's a suspended ceiling).

I do not know though if i did do this if it is in breach of Part P of the regulations. The cable is existing, and it is replacing an existing appliance, but the fact I am putting a plug socket on the cable is where I'm unsure if I am ok to do this (as it is in effect outside of the kitchen).

Sorry this is a bit long, and hopefully not too confusing! I can get some pics if required (not sure if I can upload them to the forum though).

Thanks in anticipation of any help.

Dan T.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:41 pm

Hi,
you are quite correct in that putting a socket on the end of the cable currently feeding the fan in the loft space would be 'minor works' not covered by part p.

To feed the hood by removing a plug ,threading it through to the loft, refitting a plug again would, again not contraviene part p, but it would mean no way of removing the hood for future decorating/maintenance.

One way out of this might be to make up an 'extension lead'with plug on loft end and a 3pin connector on the other end near the hood, connecting the other 'male' half to a shortened hood flex.

Or you could ask a leckie to reroute the fan cable to an outlet plate by the hood, then you would get a 'minor works' cert. for future reference.
regards Sparx

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:23 pm