Corridors, doors and windows
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
palace
Labourer
Labourer

Corridors, doors and windows

Post by palace » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:14 pm

Hope someone can help - I am altering our flat and making the back addition (it is terraced) which is currently a kitchen diner and bathroom into a bedroom , bathroom and kitchen - moving walls and doors.

Its a first floor flat and have been to building control and issuing abuilding notice - but wanted to check the minimum with of a corridor which will run from kitchen to back bedroom and have the bathroom off it between the two.

The current corridor is 84 cm - is this enough for the new one?

Thanks for any help!

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:25 pm

Hi palace,
I don't think the regulation on dwellings are quite as stricked as they are on businesses, i.e. offices and shops. They don't seem to state a particular width that a corridor/passageway should be! I always assumed that 1200mm was enough as this is what the fire safety office asked fire escape stairways to be. But I have never come across an minimum limit. I'd ask the question to either your local building controls officer or fire safety officer.
Good Luck
KB
P.S. i'd be interested in their response.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1