All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
the-demi-god
Apprentice
Apprentice

Cost of plumbing

by the-demi-god » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:54 pm

Hi,
We have always done most of our own work ie DIY, with tradesmen for what we couldn't do. With my partners demise that is no longer an option. I now need a shower cubicle in the bathroom. If I take out the bath & sink turn the bath round by 90% & put a small one in [1400] a shower cubicle will fit where the bath is & the sink can sit next to it. I read that the Mira excel is a good shower unit but the wall would need to be raggled to install it since the current one is surface mounted and the interior of the cubicle retiled afterwards. The question? Well I have sourced the bath & cubicle etc that I would like but now wonder how much I can expect to pay for someone to do the work. I don't expect it to be cheap but a friend was charged £2000 for her installation and I thought that was a bit steep. but when you have always done a lot of the work for yourself .... well I just don't know.
I would be really grateful for advice.

Skids
Ganger
Ganger

by Skids » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:59 pm

Hi the demi god

All depends where you live, down here the going rate is between £150/200 a day, you can pay more though.

Could take between 3 – 5 days depending on the actual work

All the best

Skids

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:29 pm

£2000 seems steep but every job varies, I have known people pay £15000 for a bathroom refit (not an average bathroom) - by dolphin.

Yours shouldn't be anywhere near £2000 - that would have included supplying the suite etc etc. Depending on where you live - if you provide the bath, shower cubicle and shower - I think you'd be looking at around £250 for installing and supplying pipes and fittings.

htg

swidders
Ganger
Ganger

by swidders » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:53 am

Think htg engineer is underquoting - £500 bit more like it if waste included. Tiling and fixing doors/panel would be extra, as would any electrical work.

the-demi-god
Apprentice
Apprentice

by the-demi-god » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:30 pm

Hi,
Thank you I really wondered if I was that out of touch. I live in Glasgow, and I had actually spoken to the plumber and told him what I thought we could do, but I was taken aback when 2 days later he phoned to say £2000 JUST for installation I believe people should be paid for their work. I would not have worked for nothing, equally I don't like being taken for a ride and that's what this feels like.

Thank you for your help and advice I will ask someone else for an estimate. fingers crossed.

the-demi-god :)

Stelf
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Stelf » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:12 pm

Hi
I would go along with Skids on this one considering there is tiling involved as well. Would be interesting if you could let us know the end result.
Best wishes

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:19 pm

All i'm commenting on is the plumbing installation - no tiling etc etc.

Install a bath, shower and shower tray ??? a days work £500 is OTT.

htg

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:24 pm

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:49 am