Cracks in Mortar at top of conservatory wall
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MACCA73
Labourer
Labourer

Cracks in Mortar at top of conservatory wall

by MACCA73 » Sun May 29, 2011 5:27 pm

Hello we had a conservatory fitted with a glass roof in January. One wall coming off the house wall is about 8 foot tall and the rest are dwarf walls. The mortar beneath the top set of bricks on the 8 foot wall has cracks under half of the bricks. The builders finished the brickwork and less than 48 hours later the conservatory guys started fitting the conservatory. Did the builders leave sufficient time for the top set of bricks to dry before attaching the framework for the glass roof? To get the levels correct they placed a thick piece of timber on top of the top set of bricks. I am worried that by drilling into the wall to attach the timber/framework they may have loosened the top set of bricks and that the cracks in the mortar may be the start of the roof structure splaying out under the sheer weight of the glass roof. I pointed it out at the time to the company and they repointed it but the cracks have reappeared leading me to have concerns about the strength of the structure. The cracks are not huge but are there all the same - the bricks are not lose at all - but then again they are under a lot of weight. Should I be worried?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

conservatory

by welsh brickie » Mon May 30, 2011 11:55 am

I would take a close up picture of the crack first then leave it a few days and take another picture to compare.If its worsened then call them back.With timber there are always settlement cracks Im sure its nothing to worry about.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:04 am