creaking floor panels
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stronach
Tradesman
Tradesman

creaking floor panels

by stronach » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:19 am

I have lived in my house for over 18 years from when it was built. The upper flooring is made of 8 by 4 sheets of what I call blockboard but not sure of its correct name. Over the years it creaks really badly everywhere you walk. When I renew the carpets I want to try and screw them down but my worry is the amount of pipes that are under the floor. I looked at similar houses in various stages of construction on the site after we moved in and the amount of piping everywhere was amazing. Now what I would like to know is how far below the joists are these pipes likely to be. I could follow the line of nails along the joist but obviously don't know ( as the builders did) where the pipes run. I probably need a metal detecting tool ,but which one? I have looked at reviews and none seem perfect. Any advice on this would be welcome.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: creaking floor panels

by stoneyboy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:32 pm

stronach,
Either the board are rubbing together on their edges or the boards are moving up and down on the nails.
If there is a small gap between each of the boards then it is a nail problem.
It is likely that most of the pipes will be run directly under the boards so I suggest you get a nail remover and replace the nails in their existing holes with screws.
end

stronach
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: creaking floor panels

by stronach » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:51 pm

Thanks for advice, have to wait till I get carpets up though. You suggestions have been useful.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:20 pm