We want to create an open fire in our living room, we have been told that the opening is too large - however have done a bit of research online and there are fireplaces out there with openings like ours if not larger. The dimensions are 640mm width by 830mm height for the opening.
It does look as thought it has been used previously or in the past as has alot of soot on the walls, the fire was boarded up with a horrible fireplace -so naturally we removed :-)
A chimney sweep has done the smoke test for this, however we want to know a) Is this too large in accordance with building regs etc... and b) what is the best way to go about getting it working if it isn't too large?
We don't have an inset for it but we are having firebricks put in and intend putting in a fire basket and obviously a fire grate to ensure safety from spitting flames etc...
Have tried to upload a picture of the fireplace but for some reason I can't.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Homeowner - who wants a working fireplace:-)