Creating switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
steq184
Apprentice
Apprentice

Creating switch

by steq184 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:39 pm

Hi
I have a light in my loft that when I when I go in the loft I have to have the light lead hanging down from the loft hatch and plugged into a socket on the landing.
What I am after doing is to have a switch just inside the loft so I dont have to have a lead hanging out of the hatch.
How can I do this?
Any help greatly appreciated.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Creating switch

by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:55 pm

steq 184
Look at the project section on adding a light and switch.

BLAKEY1963

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:11 pm

With mine I first fitted a ceiling rose and linked the supply to one of the ceiling roses of a room below. Then I took a cable and threaded down to same switch box as for landing and bathroom lamp and swapped the double switch for a three way switch.

I would have been better using a switch with neon indicator but did not take neutral to switch so too late now.

After I replaced the single ceiling rose with a junction box and fitted two florescent tubes as the shadows cast by single lamp made it hard to find anything. Again really should have fitted an emergency lamp as if power fails in the loft really hard to get out but I have never got around to it.

However it is not easy to thread cables and at the time I did the work the LED lighting available today was just not an option. Likely if doing today it would be LED lights with batteries.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:51 pm

You could take a live feed from the lighting circuit from the rooms below.
Have that light operated be a well placed pull cord switch or even a normal switch plate and when you open the hatch, climb the ladders, you can either pull or flick.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:03 am