Crooked walls, straight cupboard, how to hide the gaps
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chapter34
Labourer
Labourer

Crooked walls, straight cupboard, how to hide the gaps

by chapter34 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:57 am

Hi,

I'm really hoping someone can come up with a good idea. We've refurbished our upstairs toilet, had a boiler installed on the back wall which we've hidden by getting our builder to cut a large door that covers the entire back wall (and stays in place by magnetic clips and screws).

Unfortunately it turns out our walls and ceiling are not straight, but the large door is! So we've got unsightly gaps running around the door.

The gaps are biggest down the sides, and largest at the top. Maybe about 10-15mm at the top and about 1mm at the bottom. We have a bit of a gap at the top where it meets the ceiling too, but no gaps at all at the bottom where it meets another wood panel (which is about 1/3rd of the way up the wall).

Can anyone suggest a DIY approach I can employ to hide these gaps? First our builder tried silicon, then cutting it so the door could come off. Trouble is, that looks fine the first time, but putting the door back on is impossible!

Now we've got rid of the silicon and we're looking for a better solution. I'm really hoping someone on this forum can come up with a bright idea.

The next door neighbour suggested, what's it called, quarter, or something? Where you have a round pole that's cut lengthways into quarters. But I'm not sure that's going to work (or look very good) when used to try to hide a 10-15mm gap at the top...

Please help!

Thanks,
Mark.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Crooked walls, straight cupboard, how to hide the gaps

by welsh brickie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:37 pm

what your neighbour suggested is quadrant there are different sizes or you can use thin strips of wood 3mm thick, or plastic trim called D bead that is only 4mm thick but is 20mm wide and you can silicone to the door and cut down from 15mm to 5mm to match the wall .

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 11:43 am