Customer pays the Apprentice?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
welliegirl
Apprentice
Apprentice

Customer pays the Apprentice?

by welliegirl » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:54 am

Our plumber did a small job for us recently. He charged us 30% mark up on the materials - fair enough I guess, half a day's rate (£125) for 2.5 hours work - on the basis he had to travel 12 miles each way and then on top of that £50 for his apprentice. All plus VAT of course. Now this apprentice is not the brightest. He stood there and watched and we're pretty certain he did nothing. Didn't even pass tools.

Is it usual to charge in this way? I heard that the Government pays for apprentices to be trained? It doesn't seem fair that I should have to hand over my hard-earned cash for someone's employee to be trained on my job. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

plastic_man77
Ganger
Ganger

by plastic_man77 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:13 pm

@ welliegirl

You don't seem to have a lot of luck with your chosen tradesmen.

If you aren't happy with something when the job and price is being discussed, then you need to voice your concerns early on.

However the job and price is sold to you, if you agree the terms and are happy with the end result and the legality of the job, then you should pay the tradesman what you agreed, regarless of how he intends to spend the money, ie. paying his apprentice.

Being in business, I'm sure you had quotes off other tradesmen before allowing your chosen plumber to start work, so regardless of the £50 for his apprentice, I'm sure he must have offered to do the work for a good price.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:46 pm