Cut roof truss
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

northernguy
Labourer
Labourer

Cut roof truss

by northernguy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:59 pm

Hello.
I need some advice regarding my roof. I was having a bathroom refit done and the loft hatch was positioned for some reason above the bath. The bathroom fitter said they could cover it up when they cladded the ceiling and reposition the loft hatch to the landing. This seems a good and sensible idea. I returned home one day to find that the loft hatch had been repositioned to the landing but that they had had to cut through the roof truss to get it to fit. Instead of going between the joists, they decided that because of the proximity of the smoke alarm on the ceiling (and they couldn't move it) that they would turn the loft hatch around. The consequence was that they needed to cut a joist which they have braced with the wood surround of the loft hatch. They also cut through two roof truss webs as the webs would have been in the loft hatch space had they not been cut. To put it right in their eyes, they braced the upper and lower cords with two vertical pieces of wood and a horizontal piece bracing the two verticals together. as a result the roof truss has gone from a conventioanl W shape to a HV shape. I am concerned that the structural integrity of the roof has been compromised and if I should ever sell my house have difficulties doing so. Is there any way this damage can be repaired so the truss is more conventional once again. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:10 pm