Cutting bricks for paving
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Spotfist
Labourer
Labourer

Cutting bricks for paving

by Spotfist » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:13 pm

Have spent some time trying to research this online, hopefully someone can give me some ideas...

I got a load of slabs normal thickness say 30mm, I have a large area to pave in the garden, I have a load of reclaimed bricks too. My question is, can I cut the bricks into say quarters of around 30mm thick and then use these as paving. digging to different depths would be hard work so would like to avoid.

Another question is, can I cut the brick length ways in half to a thickness of around 30mm, keeping in mind that the bricks are frogged... would this make the bricks weak and lead to cracking when stood on?

Thanks in advance.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:37 pm

Spotfist,
30mm is too thin unless the slice is fully bedded on mortar on a concrete base.
end

Spotfist
Labourer
Labourer

by Spotfist » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:37 pm

Thanks for that, if I had to cut the bricks in halves instead, so I could use the bricks length ways and halves or just halves what would be the best way to incorporate the slabs as they would need a shallower hold due to there thickness versus that of the bricks.

do I brick first and leave gaps for the slabs? and then fill in after?

Thanks.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:20 pm

Spotfist,
"do I brick first and leave gaps for the slabs? and then fill in after?" Probably the best way but cut yourself a pattern for the slabs out of ply so you get the spacing right.
end

Spotfist
Labourer
Labourer

Brick paving

by Spotfist » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:50 pm

Thanks for the tip, good idea! I got an old door i could cut up, and is roughly the thickness, you are a genius!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:13 pm