Cutting Doorway in support wall
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dookie
Labourer
Labourer

Cutting Doorway in support wall

by Dookie » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:13 am

Hi,

Im not certain about the support wall in this loft. Im assuming the wall was built as single support during construction as it was easier than building two support columns.

Ive loaded a picture here http://a.imageshack.us/img841/3604/rszloftwall.jpg

Is it safe to cut a doorway ( marked in blue ) or will it compromise the strength ? I did consider the wall was built like this deliberately to strengthen against movement from expansion/contraction. You can see from the close ups, small amounts of brick & slate were used to level up to the girders. That suggest to me that all force is downwards & none side to side.

Can I cut without bracing or will I end up with roof collapsing into the lounge at sometime in the future ?

If somebody could clarify for me it would be really appreciated.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:16 pm

Dookie,
If you can cut the opening using an angle grinder from both sides you will probably be OK.
Hammering the bricks out will probably disturb the remaing wall and if you are going to do this you may as well remove the whole wall and fit timber struts both vertically and diagonally to the centre of the roof space.
end

Dookie
Labourer
Labourer

by Dookie » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:00 am

Thanks ever so much for your input on this Stoneyboy.

I was planning to use a grinder and then drill the mortar between the bricks.
I thought this would make removing the bricks easier and keep side impact to a minimum. I dont have the expertise to add struts etc with confidence.

The fact you said "'Probably' be ok" has made me even more cautious now because doubling my loft space at the risk of losing my house isnt a chance I can afford to take.

As you cant see any obvious reasons why it cant be done then perhaps I could get a builder in with liability insurance to do it.

Many thanks Stoneyboy for your time and advice.

Cheers Dooks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:49 pm

Dookie,
You need to find an old fshioned builder who is used to dealing with cut roofs, ask if he thinks he can improve support along the purlin - your pictures show they are folding over the support wall.
end

windowsill
Apprentice
Apprentice

by windowsill » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:03 pm

did you have any luck yet with finding one? I was facing a similar problem regarding some door-fitting in my mother's house and just stumbled upon this post...been able to find some help here: http://www.myhammer.co.uk/db/Door-Fitti ... dows/-/uk/, though, maybe give it a try...

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:54 am