cutting new doorways in internal wall
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
russellfl
Ganger
Ganger

cutting new doorways in internal wall

by russellfl » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:52 pm

Hi,

Can anyone help?

On the advice of a builder I met I have gone ahead and cut a couple of doorways in an internal block wall in my bungalow. I have checked and the wall doesn't support anything as it runs the same way as the roof joists, but after trawling through the web about building regs i'm not so sure now that I should have contacted building control and put in a building notice. can anyone advise?

Cheers and happy new year

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:32 am

russellfl,
The short answer is yes, all structural alterations should have BR approval.
In reality if you have fitted PC lintols over the opening you can get retrospective approval if you need it. This situation will only occur if you want to sell your home within a 4 year period or someone shops you!
end

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:35 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1