CUTTING OUT A SMALL WINDOW APERTURE - NEED FOR SUPPORT?
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mattb1210
Labourer
Labourer

CUTTING OUT A SMALL WINDOW APERTURE - NEED FOR SUPPORT?

by mattb1210 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:10 pm

In the process of finishing an En suite bathroom but would prefer to install a double glazed window rather than extraction.

Im pretty sure that as the window will be no wider than 400mm i can safely remove a course of bricks for the lintel without the need to use support ie strongboys or needles.

Im just hoping someone could confirm this would be safe for me to go ahead without structural support as the wall is load bearing.

Thanks for your time, Matt[/b]

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:30 pm

The window may be only 400mm but 150mm bearing is required both sides Matt. This makes it necessary to cut out 700mm of brickwork to make opening for lintel. You also really need to insert a cavity tray DPC or even a cavity lintel to stop any water that get in the cavity resting on whatever it is you have over the window and soaking through to inside the building. See our project on cavities to understand this process. This means a fair sized hole in the brickwork above you new intended window and support is srtongly suggested. No body in their right mind would suggest that it is safe to go ahead as buildings can shift at any time and although many builders will take a chance inserting lintels for someone who is not used to this type of operation to open up a load bearing wall without support is madness....Would you know what to do for example, if the previous owner had run cables or even pipes in the cavity...It doesn't happen often, but it has happened (to us) and it means the hole is open for a great deal longer than the hour it takes to slip a lintel in. Your home is the biggest investement you will ver make don't take chances with it for the sake of another few quid and a few more hours.

mattb1210
Labourer
Labourer

by mattb1210 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:47 pm

Thanks for your time and advise! Like you say its just not worth the potential risk.

Am i righ in thinking i'd need to use 2 strongboys, one either side of the aperture around 600mm centres? and 2 strongboys again to support the cavity internally?

Thanks again Matt

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:34 am