damp in main bedroom
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mcbobbins
Labourer
Labourer

damp in main bedroom

by mcbobbins » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:25 am

Hi
We have very recently moved into a very old (c1850 build) end terrace cottage. There is a smell of damp constant in the master bedroom.

Again one wall (which is external) the previous owners have left a wall of freestanding wardrobes which are very snug to the full length of the room. We moved one out and behind there is evidence of damp and walls are blackened with what I think must be mould. There are also some panels of a polystyrene type material covering the walls. There is no sight of the damp on the wall area adjacent to the wardrobes on or the wall above the wardrobes e.g. it is well hidden and doesn't appear to be coming downward via e.g. a roof leak.

Theres no evidence of damp in other rooms including the one immediately below the bedroom.
- How likely is it that is the wardrobes alone are cause this problem? I've been on a number of websites on old properties which suggest the issue relates to the walls not being able to breath. Should I leave space between the wardrobes and the wall rather than have them snug?
- We're going to move the wardrobes out and clean the walls. Any advice on best thing to use?
- What is the polystyrene material likely to be ? suggests to me this is a problem previous owners were aware of but nothing came up on the survey.
- We are opening windows and are running a water extractor fan but this isn't a sustainable solution. Any advice as to how this could be fixed long term? We have a newborn 6wks in a moses basket in the room and he has a mild chest infection which I'm sure heightens when hes on his back in the room. Need to fix, but if we get someone in I don't want them 'sealing' the wall up with damppaint etc if that is only going to make it worse long term.

Help!

Thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: damp in main bedroom

by welsh brickie » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:35 am

to clean the walls use a solution of water and bleach and apply with a sponge. There is no airflow behind the wardrobe moving it out slightly may cure it, if it re occurs then a airbrick needs to be installed or trickle vents in the window may also help

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:23 am