Damp in Property Along Joining Party Wall
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Liam546
Labourer
Labourer

Damp in Property Along Joining Party Wall

by Liam546 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:12 am

I have recently bought a semi detached Victorian Property which is constructed from 9inch Solid Brick. I am suffering damp patches all along the party wall. There is a cellar beneath the property but next door have had there’s filled in some 10 years ago, they have also had their side of the party wall re rendered in what I suspect is either sand & cement or gypsum plaster. Both downpipes, front and back of the properties go into the main drains. The party wall on my side also has what I believe is gypsum plaster although I’m not 100% sure. I have removed 1 meter of this plaster to let the wall dry out whilst I decide the best course of action. I have asked next door what they have along that wall and there is barely anything, and no signs of damp there side although I suspect this is being hidden from the new render. I mentioned that the construction of my property is 9 inch solid brick, this is true with the exception of the party wall (where the damp is). The party wall seems to be constructed of a type of rubble, with bits of stone in it, but the cellar wall beneath is again different, this is more like a solid stone, but as soon as it reaches the ground level it changes to this type of earth, rubble with stones in it. (Ive uploaded a pic of cellar wall, and the damp of the party wall before i removed the plaster. I will upload pic of rubble wall asap)
I have read lots about chemical injections and the use of sand and cement with water proofer and I feel i should avoid this as this method would be just sealing in more moister damaging the fabric of the wall and not allowing it to breathe. I have read that the solution may be a lime based render with use of breathable paints which will allow the wall to breathe. However I am worried that I would use the lime render or an alternative that I’ve read about called limelite renovating plaster, redecorate with breathable paints but then still get the damp which would be a lot of effort and money wasted.

Any expert advice would be much appreciated
Attachments
Damp On Plaster.PNG
Damp On Plaster.PNG (40.9 KiB) Viewed 2839 times
Cellar Wall.PNG
Cellar Wall.PNG (65.19 KiB) Viewed 2839 times

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Damp in Property Along Joining Party Wall

by welsh brickie » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:46 am

use Sika slurry mix to prevent the damp then render the wall with limelight

Emily Stevens
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Damp in Property Along Joining Party Wall

by Emily Stevens » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:44 pm

Hi Liam,

You may find this article useful http://blog.accessstorage.com/index.php ... your-home/

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:54 am