Damp Plaster
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Deanharriss
Labourer
Labourer

Damp Plaster

by Deanharriss » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:17 pm

Hi all,

I have recently had my lounge replastered 22' by 13' so quiet a large area.

There was nothing really wrong with the previous plaster, other than a few holes here and there caused by picture hanging etc etc.

anyway I have noticed the new plaster looks like it is adsorbing moisture to a height of about 12" abover the floor. This has happened the total length of the room and Im puzzled why I didn't spot any damp until this new plastering was done.

Anyway I telephoned a rising damp company and they have said the person who carried out the plastering has used the wrong plaster they have either used Hardwall, Toughcoat or carlyte and should only use sand and cement. The have quoted me many £££££ to remove the plaster 1 metre above the floor and damp proof my lounge.

I have lived in this house for 20 odd years and seen no sign of damp..has my plasterer really used the wrong type of plaster ?

Thanks in advance for your replies

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:04 pm

I am puzzled by your blog, why would you spend so much money on repairing a few small holes?
There is a lot of water used in plastering and finishing a wall and it takes time to dry out, how long ago was yours finished?
The natural thing is for water to settle in the wall above the damp proof course, it waits to evaporate into the air or spread further into the wall and disappear.
It would be very much a co incidence for your wall to suddenly have rising damp.
Or a leaking pipe or gutter.
You could try leaving the window open to give the water a chance to blow away, or turn the heating on, to raise the rooms temperature and drive the damp towards the outside. (Damp will always move towards the colder outside.
If you have rising damp, it will rise up the wall to a point roughly 4 feet above the outside ground level.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:04 pm

For up to 5 FREE quotes from trusted, vetted and insured tradesmen in your area visit the DIY Doctor Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:12 pm

As said why would you plaster a full wall just because of nail holes?
Also why would you have to use sand and cement on your internal walls?

Multi finish is what 99.9% of plasterers would use to finish a wall :shock:

30yearsinthegame
Tradesman
Tradesman

by 30yearsinthegame » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:39 pm

hi

i know this is a old post but im putting this up to help others.

when working on older houses sand and cement should be used, Because if you use plaster it will not last in damp areas, or if it has salt on the wall> time and time again i see plasterers using plaster in damp areas.

a good 4-1 5-1 mix witth sika waterproofer or even 3-1 sometimes.

so thats why good plasterers should use sand and cement in wet or damp areas or in older houses.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:14 pm