Damp??
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mojo79
Labourer
Labourer

Damp??

by mojo79 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:30 pm

I woke mon morning to find water had leaked into my bedroom, it had collected into a water bubble (2 thirds down my wall) about 2 inches wide under the paint with tracks of water leading from around my window bout half way up from the window sill, having popped and squezed all the water out i have removed all the wet paint and have now discovered that most of the wall around my window is now damp, if the water has been coming in from the window which i suspect as the sealant appears to have come away and the wall on the other side of the window appears to be fine, how do treat the damp wall, should i remove all the plaster board or just let it dry out? plus there is now a crack around my window sill from the window itself all round to the underneath of it and quite a gap in some areas! there is no mould and no water has ever run over the paint so is there a chance its penetrating the brick from outside and how do check? Any help or advice would be great as im very worried its gonna keep happening! x

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

damp

by welsh brickie » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:43 am

ok seal the window outside completly.Then hose the outside to check if water is penitrating,if there is no sign of water inside and the next day you have damp,install a trickle vent in the window.

SPUD1701
Tradesman
Tradesman

by SPUD1701 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:26 pm

Hi

This is a penetrating water problem I would say more than damp at present, need to check around around where water appears to be getting in, as welsh brickie states hose down down wall on this elevation and find out where water is getting in.

If it had been damp it would have been there for some time, condensation or rising damp do not form in water bubbles.

You have a leak! find this and stop water getting in first.

mojo79
Labourer
Labourer

by mojo79 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:08 pm

Thanks for your advice its put my mind at ease was beginning to convince myself i had rising damp or my whole wall leaking! lol

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:49 pm