Damp under bay window
Fillers, sealants and adhesives for all types of DIY work. Help, advice and information on all aspects of this subject

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
homeunderthehammer
Labourer
Labourer

Damp under bay window

by homeunderthehammer » Thu May 24, 2007 12:55 pm

Hi All,

Have just moved into my first home.... a 1st floor converted Victorian terrace maisonette. Currently the walls and ceilings are covered throughout with nasty woodchip so i'm basically just stripping everything to start with some nice clean lines. As i'm living in the house as I renovate, I'm having to work one room at a time.

Anyway.... on to my dillema. The living room is my first target and i've stripped most of the walls / ceilings. I was hoping to get away with just a skim but on one wall with a large front facing bay window as I was taking the radiator off the wall, the plaster has just crumbled away into dust. stripping further back it became obvious that when double glazing was at some point fitted, moisture has got into the wooden frame supports, these have rotted away under the window frame and caused the plaster to weaken. The window is still securely in place and siting erfectly happy on the front course of brickwork.

Basically, I'm wondering where the damp came from, is it appears to be sound frontally and sealed..... and also how best to go about reparing / preparing for the plasterer. I don't see removing the window and refittting it as an option.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Thu May 24, 2007 10:00 pm

Can't guess at this and you will not get any sensible replies because no one can guess at where the damp got in. As to how its repaired depends on what needs to be done to ensure a good bond, and again its not possible to guess. Each job had a different remedy as plaster can only be apllied at a certain thickness and/or whatever these wooden frame supports were doing needs to be worked out so they can either be replaced or the void they have left filled with something suitable. Too many variables for sensible answers.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:22 pm