damp wall
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

damp wall

Post by bjn » Fri May 22, 2009 2:56 am

One of my walls from inside is damp and from outside is cemented. This damp is on the total length wich is 11 meters of the wall as it up to 3 meters of 6 meter high. Could it be because the roof dose not overlaps the wall?
many thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Fri May 22, 2009 6:48 pm

bjn,
It's probably because the rendering is porous. Try sealing or painting the rendering and see if this cures the problem.
end

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

Post by bd3cc » Fri May 22, 2009 8:54 pm

There are many possibilities, particularly if the roof does not overlap the wall, where is the water from the roof running to.
You need to give a much clearer and considered account of the situation, then someone will be able to help.
HTH

bjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bjn » Sat May 23, 2009 9:47 pm

Dear bd3cc, stoneyboy
Thank you very much for your help.
It is a pitch roof and the pitches are in front and the back of the house. But the damp is on the side of the house where there is no pitch, the detached side of the house. This exposed side is the only wall with damp. And the roof dose not overlap the wall on this side of the house , and it seems there is no need to overlap the wall on this side , because the rain water flow towards the front and back of the house where the pitches are . The whole wall is rendered and painted for 4 metres from above the ground .

Many thanks

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Perry525 » Sun May 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Is this wall exposed to bad weather?
Does the wind blown rain beat against this wall?
If it does, then the wall is probably cracked and the rain is getting under the concrete, which is then preventing it drying out.
Take a careful look at the wall, checking for cracks that run level with the ground.
Probably you have an old soft mortar built wall, soft to allow it to expand and contract and someone has used a cement based render that is too hard and brittle and cracks rather than expanding and contracting with the seasons.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sun May 24, 2009 5:51 pm

bjn,
If you are saying that the wall is not rendered for the lower 4m then I would suggest this is the source of your damp problems and you need to treat the wall with a few coat of silicone liquid.
If you are saying that the wall is rendered for the lower 4m then water is getting behind the rendering. Make sure the top edge has a good seal and treat the upper wall with silicone liquid.
end

bjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bjn » Mon May 25, 2009 8:50 am

I am sorry this site dose not allow me to reply to personal message.

bjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bjn » Tue May 26, 2009 10:19 pm

Thank you very much
Because of your explanation now I know that the high damp in the bath room is because of lack of proper ventilation. But I still do not I do not know why there is one meter of damp is in the corridor.

Yes the whole wall from outside is rendered (5x6meter) and the wall is also painted for 2 meters and still there is damp on the other side.
many thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Fri May 29, 2009 8:46 pm

bjn,
If you have damp above the 1metre level then the most likely cause is penetrating moisture. Originally you said 3m high damp but you now seem to be saying 1m.
Paint the whole height of the outside wall and see what effect this has over the next few months.
end

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

Post by bd3cc » Fri May 29, 2009 9:32 pm

Condensation from a bathroom/kithchen can spread to many areas of a property, and will always condense on a cold wall. this is usually an outside wall.
Dont quite understand your layout, but suggest that your problem may be internal rather than external.
Look to get some form of extraction, as well as ventilation.
HTH

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:46 am