Dampness Condensation On Windows & Walls
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mancer62
Labourer
Labourer

Dampness Condensation On Windows & Walls

by mancer62 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:36 am

My house in the Glasgow area of Scotland has for the past few years suffered badly from Condensation on inside double glazing and on walls, in corners, behind wardrobes etc. Also the sealant around windows goes all mouldy.
Last year I bought dehumidifier it worked with limited success.
Would putting a plastic air vent into my blocked up fireplace inthe living room and one in my bedroom where the chimney runs make any difference?
There are also no air vents about the doors in any of my upsatirs bedrooms would this make a difference. I'm trying to find out solutions as the glazingis only 6 years old.
Any advice or tips on any of above be appreciated ty

koala
Labourer
Labourer

by koala » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:47 pm

All chimneys should have an air vent installed when they have been blocked up.
This is to allow the natural drying of the inside of the bricks, it is also an access to clear any future debris build up from crumbling mortar etc.

This is especially relevant if the chimney has not had a cowl installed to protect from any weather.

All modern windows installed have to have vents fitted, these are to allow for ventilation which is to help reduce the effects of condensation. These can be purchased and fitted easily and cheaply by a DIY enthusiast.

If the walls are just cold, try insulating the walls with Warmalene (expanded polystyrene on a roll). There is also a new ECO product of which the name eludes me. This is basically ceramic balls in a microscopic form, its a powder that you mix in with paint and then apply to the wall.

This is something I have not tried yet but will be soon.

Hope this helps.

Koala

Detective
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Dampness Condensation On Windows & Walls

by Detective » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:19 pm

mancer62 wrote:My house in the Glasgow area of Scotland has for the past few years suffered badly from Condensation on inside double glazing and on walls, in corners, behind wardrobes etc. Also the sealant around windows goes all mouldy.
Last year I bought dehumidifier it worked with limited success.
Would putting a plastic air vent into my blocked up fireplace inthe living room and one in my bedroom where the chimney runs make any difference?
There are also no air vents about the doors in any of my upsatirs bedrooms would this make a difference. I'm trying to find out solutions as the glazingis only 6 years old.
Any advice or tips on any of above be appreciated ty

Koala is right about the vents in the chimneys . we all expect the air to go up the chimney but if it is wet at the top the cool damp air will come down and cause mould and condensation in the house, which could be what is happening. Your dehumidifier is a stop gap for the moment to make things more comfortable. It is most effective at night when we are all asleep with the windows closed especially in the winter. In the day time forget the dehumidifier and crack your windows open. ( the outside airt is a bigger dehumidifier especially on warm days). The level of condensation is high and you should really get an Independent Damp Surveyor to establish exactly what the problem is . Once you know, it is usually easy to put right, then your mould and condensation problems will ease off.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:51 am