Decking paint help
Post your questions and find answers on all garden related topics and areas

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tomcat
Labourer
Labourer

Decking paint help

by tomcat » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:23 pm

About 3-4 years ago we bought some decking paint, this is not the stain or oil but a brown decking paint purchased from Wickes, so come time to redo it I find they no longer stock it, I found out it was a special order from Ronseal on behalf of Wickes and of course they no longer have it.

Trying to put a ronseal decking stain over the worn flakey bits after spending a day rubbing down left patches as the stain would simply stain the bare wood... so is there an easy way to totally remove this paint or does anyone know if anybody makes a decking paint rather than a stain or oil?

Or does it look like I will have to hire an industrial sander and a few gallons of paint removal for the rails and spindle's to get it back to bare wood...

Many thanks

Steve

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:29 am

You might have some luck at a chandlers but there is certainly not a lot of deck paint about now as all manufacturers have realsied that timber expands and contracts so much, especially externally, that there is not a paint available that can stick properly to a constantly moving surface. The results are, as you have experienced, flaking, blistering and worn patchy surfaces. If you are forced to get it off, see our paint stripping project then look at our timber floor finishes and go for an oiled finish. Its much nicer, looks after the wood and is repeatable time after time.

tomcat
Labourer
Labourer

by tomcat » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:24 am

Many thanks....

tomcat
Labourer
Labourer

by tomcat » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:38 pm

Just an update... read the paint stripping project, so went out and paid 20 quid for a pot of this stripper..... unfortunately testing it on a loose decking board simply removed the flakey top coat and nothing else... so tried about three times but its either soaked into the grain of the wood or this stripper has no effect.. so looks like I might have to get an industrial sander to remove the top layer.... but it was worth a try.

Steve

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:38 pm