Digging out a Drive for Block Paving and Letting it Settle

Postby wolfie882 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:36 pm

Hi All,

I have received a quote from an approved installer for a block paved drive. I am pleased with the quote and the installer has been recommended and well reviewed. The only query I have is that the installer has said that following the initial dig-out he prefers to allow the ground to "settle" for up to a week before laying the blocks.

I am interested to hear what others think of this approach.

Thank You
wolfie882
Progress to next rank:
50%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby welsh brickie » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:42 pm

A base of crushed stone at least 150mm thick, and well compacted, must be laid first, a coarse sand 50mm thick well compacted base, is added on top, then the paviors on top of that, also compacted. So I don't know why he needs the ground to settle first, unless the ground is wet, and he is allowing the time for it to dry out and harden
welsh brickie

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!