Dimmer light Problem Where Bulb Goes out if Switch is Turned
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
FearlessFox
Labourer
Labourer

Dimmer light Problem Where Bulb Goes out if Switch is Turned

by FearlessFox » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:41 pm

Hello all.

For quite a few months now, the ceiling light in the front lounge has been playing up. The bulb flickers when the dimmer switch is turned and goes completely out after 10-20 seconds.

There are two switches for it as per my amateur diagram attached. One of the switches is a dimmer switch, which when turned does make a slight ‘humming’ sound.

I have changed the bulb to another dimmer suitable one and still the same effect (the bulbs work fine elsewhere in the house).Thus concluding that it might be the dimmer switch itself.

Short of purchasing a new dimmer switch, I thought about looking at the switch itself- safely of course. There seems to be quite a few wires behind the switch as seen in the attached photographs. To be honest I don’t really need a dimmer switch and would be happy with a single one.

Therefore I am seeking help about how to resolve this issue. Is it the dimmer switch? If so how might I go about replacing it and installing the wires correctly. Or might there be a different issue?

I look forward to your responses!
Attachments
Dimmer Switch 002.jpg
Dimmer Switch 001.jpg
Lounge.jpg

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Dimmer light Problem Where Bulb Goes out if Switch is Turned

by Mr White » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:06 pm

Never seen a dimmer like that before.
If it has worked for years prior with no problem then chances are its the dimmer.
That said, it does depend on what lamps you have as not all can be dimmed.
But if you want to change the dimmer to an ON / Off switch then you will need a One gang 2 way switch.

You connect it as your dimmer probably is connected now (Can't see connections / labels)

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Dimmer light Problem Where Bulb Goes out if Switch is Turned

by ericmark » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:57 pm

It seems to be wired as two way I will guess you have swapped bulbs for lower wattage and the load is no longer high enough.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:29 am