Dimmer Switch on mains fluorescent downlighters?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
conks
Apprentice
Apprentice

Dimmer Switch on mains fluorescent downlighters?

by conks » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:49 am

Hi,

We've recently had some mains fed fluorescent downlighters fitted to our Kit ceiling.

The light is good but if not a little overpowering (there are 9 in a room size (plan) of 18m2.

I was wondering whether I could simply swap over the single light switch operating the lights for a dimmer?

Thanks.

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

by acsimpson » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:18 am

Most flourescent bulbs do not work with dimmer switches, so you would need to check the particular bulbs you have first.

Gavona
Labourer
Labourer

by Gavona » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:22 pm

I would try different wattages of Compact Flourescent - cheaper I believe than the type of Dimmer that would be needed.

Compact flourescents come in different wattages and different colours - makes a huge difference. I purchased 13watt CFLs in colour temperature s of 2700K (warm white) and 6400K (cool daylight). In our kitchen the 6400K give the sort of task light that we want. The 2700K seem much dimmer and we find unacceptable in our kitchen. We had to search a bit for 13watt - more common are lower wattages - starts at 7w.

I bought from here if you Google "liteworksuk.co.uk/replacement-lamps/mains-voltage-spotlight-lamps/energy-saving-gu10-lamp.html" . Good prices and range. I can't comment on quality / life as I only did this a few weeks ago.

Sorry - can't make the link work - any hints appreciated

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 pm