Dividing a Fielded Panel Door - How to Frame up 2 Cut Leafs?
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MCRICARDO
Labourer
Labourer

Dividing a Fielded Panel Door - How to Frame up 2 Cut Leafs?

by MCRICARDO » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:30 am

I have a 1930's period fielded panel cupboard door, o/a size 2000h x 800w, two panels, one 225h one 1450h, side and top rails 70mm bottom rail 200. Door rails are 30mm thk hw and the fielded panel is 10mm fibreboard. The recess at the door rear is 8mmdp. I want to have the door sliced vertically and the joint between the two pieces hinged so they fold back on each other. How would members go about framing up the two cut leafs?

I have thought of doing it this way described below. Comments gratefully received thanks

Place an 8mm x 140mm hardwood strip down the vertical middle. Screw and glue fix the hw to the fibreboard prior to cutting. Use thin steel plates to connect the new rail to the ex framing. Have door cut. Slip a thin channel over the edge of the fielded panel cut edges to protect them

thedoctor

Re: Dividing a Fielded Panel Door - How to Frame up 2 Cut Leafs?

by thedoctor » Mon May 19, 2014 1:13 pm

You have offered yourself an acceptable solution but as you are refurbing the door anyway, how about the following. Add mid rails to make it look like double doors. It would mean making up some molding yourself or having a joiner make it for you, and I'm not sure how complex the molding on the rails is already which may prohibit this idea, but please do let us know which way you go and it would be great to see a picture of the finished project.
[attachment=0]door.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
door.jpg
door.jpg (39.46 KiB) Viewed 1874 times

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:14 am