DIY boiler installations
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

DIY boiler installations

by The Heating Doctor » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:03 am

Answering most post in the main is what I and a hand full of others do to try and help out. In the main it's little thing which years of experiance can be passed on to sort the problem out on a forum such as this. However I can not beleive that in this day and age with the multitude of warnings the amount of people for the sake of a few pounds want to risk the lives of their familys by illeagly installing or mess around the inside of gas & oil appliances.
It's against the law for a reason, because it's dangerous and can kill if not fitted or serviced correctly. I have been in the Heating industry for 30 years, served a mechanical services apprentiship for five of those years, I know boilers & burners inside out, can identify every component in a boiler and tell you there function and why they are in a boiler. I have designed systems for Euro Tunnel, London Underground & many of the countries RAF & Army bases. I can install Air Conditioning, commission building management systems, but I am not able to install a gas, an oil or a solidfuel appliance because I am not CORGI, Oftec or HEATAS registerd, so If after all my experiance I will not fit or service an appliance why do any of you who do not know one end of a boiler from another think you can?
I've helped to investegate a fatality when a incorrectly serviced appliance killed two students through CO poisoning a waste of two 19 year olds lifes because their landlord did not want to pay a CORGI engineer to service his boiler as he thought he could do it. I have seen the side of a block of flats blown out because a gas pipe was leaking due to the wrong fitting being used. In Glasgow 14 people died recently because the gas pipe was not maintained in a factory. So if I'm sounding a bit raw you will understand why. Please for your and your familys safety do not mess around with these appliances, I understand engineers cost money & their are rouges out there, but there are a lot more honest trades guys out there who want repeat business and want recommendations. Use common sense don't pay money up front & it could be the best monet you will ever spend.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:32 pm

We offer advice and help on here, and try to solve or give more of an insight into why problems occur and how to prevent them.

But we hope people have the common sense to call a CORGI registered installer in when it comes to gas or gas appliances.

I have to resit gas training and examinations every 5 years, to ensure I am competent to work with gas and on gas appliances. As do every CORGI registered installer in the country. Why would we and our companies spend this money if working on gas appliances was as easy as DIYers think it is.

Every gas appliance I work on I check and double check before leaving the property, as I would hate to have a injury or death on my conscience. Especially one of a family member. A unqualified person working on gas in their home or families homes are putting their and their families lives at risk.

The easiest way to save money and prevent breakdowns is to have your gas appliance serviced every 12 months, replace inhibitors when systems are drained, and get a CORGI registered installer to repair the faults, as DIYers that think they know what they're doing often make the problem worse - costing more money and sometimes lives.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1