Do I have an air lock?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Golden_Ux
Labourer
Labourer

Do I have an air lock?

Post by Golden_Ux » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:22 pm

Hi, I hope someone can help as I'm becoming desperate.

I have a recurring problem wherby my hot water tank suddenly stops heating the water altogether but the central heating works fine. I don't have a combi boiler or an emersion heater.

My boiler make/ model is a Stelrad Group Ideal W boiler which was already here when I bought the house and is probably as old as the late 80's early 90's.

In the past the tank started working again without explanation and we had hot water but this is the 3rd time the problem has occurred and I'd love to learn of a quick fix cure as I have a baby on the way and obviously could do without this problem raising it's ugly head in the winter. I've tried draining the tank via the valve and by running all the hot water taps throughout the house but this didn't work. I also tried covering the mains hot water tap downstairs with my hand and turning it on as I heard this will push the water back flushing any air lock out but again this didn't work. I must add that the water flow from the hot water taps is fine and when I switch the heating on at the mains the boiler kicks in as if to start heating the tank but trips out after a short time.

I've read elsewhere that a cure could be by connecting a hose between the main cold water tap and the main hot water tap (which would be in my downstairs kitchen) and turning both taps on. The reasoning was that the cold water pressure is greater and would push the air lock out of the hot water pipes. This sounds quite messy but I'm willing to give it a try if it is believed that my problem is actually an air block?

Thanks for any replies in advance!

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:20 pm

It may be an airlock but backfilling will not work as it is an airlock in the primaries not in the DHW pipework.

If it keeps happening you need to find out why. Pipework rising from boiler to tank, no falls ? pumps sucking air into the system etc etc

Maybe getting an engineer in would be best.

htg

Golden_Ux
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Golden_Ux » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:42 pm

Thanks very much for the advice htg - I thought I'd have to go down the engineer call out route but it's nice to have some insight beforehand as a precaution!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:09 pm