Do I need a sink with my washing machine?
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
andreas_boehmer
Labourer
Labourer

Do I need a sink with my washing machine?

by andreas_boehmer » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:27 am

Hi guys,

I am planning a new bathroom/laundry and am uncertain if I need to have a separate sink installed for the washing machine.

The idea is to hide the washing machine and dryer inside a cupboard. Now I am wondering whether I need to install a dedicated sink inside that cupboard as well just for the washing machine, while the bathroom itself has a "formal" sink cabinet (in a different area of the room).

I find the idea a bit stupid to install two sinks in the same room. Can I have a washing machine without a sink? Aren't two (or one) taps and a pipe enough for it? Or do you see any other advantages of actually having a dedicated sink for the washing machine?

This is the first time I am planning a bathroom/laundry so I am open to any advise. I will get a plumber to do the installations for me, but I want to plan ahead for all the accessories I need.

Thanks for your help!

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

by stevenc1603 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:32 pm

You don't need a sink at all.

You will need water feeds (now adays its common to just need the cold water feed and not the hot) and a waste outlet.

If your other sink is nearby then you can use that, otherwise you would have to have a standpipe next to the machine.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:42 pm

SINK ???

do you mean a sink as in wash basin ?
or a sink as in drain (some people call them sinks - god knows why) ?

All you need for the washing machine is a cold and maybe hot supply, and a connection to foul waste drainage, normally a standpipe and trap.

Get a plumber in to advise.

htg

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:02 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:32 pm