Do I replace or strip
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
raggy
Labourer
Labourer

Do I replace or strip

by raggy » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:33 pm

We have a dilema. We have an oldish house (1938) and we are trying to decide whether to replace our existing door frames or remove the existing paint.

One side of me says just rub down the existing paintwork (but not down to the wood) and repaint. This looks like it would be OK for the flat surface but the joints are looking a bit clogged up so I thoght we could use a paint remover on these. However I have just read about all the dangers of lead paint and am worried that their may be lead paint underneath.

The other side says replace the frame and repaint from scratch - but this feels a much bigger job, particularly since I have not done it before.

I'd reallt appreciate advice on this subject from any experts who have gone through a similar process.

DUDE DIY
Ganger
Ganger

by DUDE DIY » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:47 pm

We have a dilema. We have an oldish house (1938) and we are trying to decide whether to replace our existing door frames or remove the existing paint.

One side of me says just rub down the existing paintwork (but not down to the wood) and repaint. This looks like it would be OK for the flat surface but the joints are looking a bit clogged up so I thoght we could use a paint remover on these. However I have just read about all the dangers of lead paint and am worried that their may be lead paint underneath.

The other side says replace the frame and repaint from scratch - but this feels a much bigger job, particularly since I have not done it before.

Hi i hope my advice helps. Ive done similar jobs a few times before. If your just wanting to replace the decorative door surround from experience it works out cheaper and a lot less work for you just to replace the wood completly rather then mess about stripping down and all that hassle. This does depend on the condition of the exsisting wood surround. Get your new decorative wood surround direct from a timber merchant, it will be cheaper then most other places b&q etc. If your wanting to replace the whole frame work? then its a lot of work and you have to make sure that your doors will re-fit etc. Hope this makes sense? good luck...let me know how you get on.

pablo2
Tradesman
Tradesman

by pablo2 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:09 pm

Hi raggy

I most paints pre 1960 will contain lead ,you could purchase a test kit from a diy store but I would assume it does , using a hot air gun or blow torch is the most dangerous method followed by dry sanding then chemical stripping ( nitromors , yellow tin ) I know of a case where the owner stripped the woodwork in a georgain stairwell and killed the cat from lead poisning , food for thought if you have young children !!

Stipping off layers of paint is extremly time consuming but if you do becarefull not to damage the wood to much with shave hooks or scrapers if possible shape a piece of wood for the mouldings and remember to neutralise the stripper afterwards or your hard work will be in vain.

Perhaps try an attacment to a dremil for some of the easyer mouldings

raggy
Labourer
Labourer

by raggy » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:50 am

Thanks for all the advice. I'm a bit worried about the comment re lead paint as I have a little 14mth old lad I'll have to be really careful if I remove any paint but to be honest I'll probably only take off the top layers or I'll replace the wood.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:22 am