Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Getgo
Labourer
Labourer

Double Syphonic Trap troubles

by Getgo » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:53 pm

Hi guys, (Long post....sorry!)

I have a 30 year old bathroom suite with a double syphonic trap toilet, which is blocked......I think!? When I flush, the water rises about half way up the pan, then the water settles back to the original level 15 seconds after the finished flush. The waste isn't flushed out so I throw a few buckets of water down the pan and it goes fine.

I wasn't sure so I took off the cistern and replaced the syphon and water intake as they were both very old. The flush is much stronger now, (and quieter), but the water still rises about half way and settles back down again. I then put sodium hydroxide down, followed by a jet wash followed by copious amounts of bio-degradable gunk and bucket loads of cold water. Nothing is working!

The only thing to help slightly is very hot water , but as soon as I flush with cold water, same problem. Is the loo blocked? Do I need to remove the toilet completely, as I am not sure how to reseal the whole thing. Also will imperial toilets have metric seals/pipes etc etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm at a loss! There are no kids or anyone else so I know nothing went down there.

Regards Getgo

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:00 pm

Getgo,
Did you fit a siphonic syphon unit which is compatible with your toilet?
end

Getgo
Labourer
Labourer

by Getgo » Fri May 01, 2009 10:11 am

Hi Stoneyboy,

I took the old one out, and put the same type, back in. The only difference was the new one was slightly taller 1/2" than the old one. It all went in ok, and as the flush is stronger, I has hoped the blockage (if there is one) would be flushed away.

I have noticed a slight leak under the cistern, so I took off the cistern again and tightened the siphon and used a bit of plumbers mate and thats stopped the leak, but still the water rises before dropping back.

I'm scratching my head before the bank holiday weekend because I will rip off the bog and see whats going on!

Regards

Getgo

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun May 03, 2009 6:09 pm

Getgo,
That doesn't really answer my question.
Was there a siphonic spool valve in the new one?
end

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun May 03, 2009 11:21 pm

Are you missing one of those "hang over the rim" loo freshener thingys?

Want to guess where it is if you are?

Cheers

Getgo
Labourer
Labourer

by Getgo » Mon May 11, 2009 5:42 pm

Thanks guys, for the help,

Rosebey was right!.. It's taken me 3 days to dismantle the entire loo, take the whole thing into the garden and jetwash it.

A rimblock was doing the damage and the jetwash removed it. Also there was no rubber seal at the end of the siphonic valve, which also came out in bits. (thanks Stoneyboy).....

I bought new seals etc, and put it all back together in between work and a cold and hey presto, it all works like new.

If my girlfriend ever puts that stuff down the bog again.............

Cheers guys

Regards

Getgo

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Wed May 13, 2009 10:34 pm

"Rosebey was right!"

I'm not clairvoyant its just that 8 times out of 10 when this problem occurs thats the culprit!

Cheers

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:45 am