Downlighter Socket Mounting Problem
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dereknorth
Labourer
Labourer

Downlighter Socket Mounting Problem

by dereknorth » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:43 pm

I feel pathetic writing this question, but when it comes to DIY I have 2 left hands full of thumbs!
While trying to replace a blown halogen bulb in a downlight in the porch, I managed to dislodge the whole socket from the surround. Now I can't replace the socket so that it remains firmly in place. The mounting is supported somehow by a set of double wire springs on each side, rectangular in shape with one being about twice the size of the bent smaller one, which pokes through the larger one. So far I've been unable to find a similar mounting on the web, so cannot provide a photo.
If this contraption sounds familiar to anyone, could he/she offer advice to this pathetic imitation of a houseowner?
Many thanks.

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:27 pm

DEREK,

WHEN IN FINAL POSITION, THE SMALLER SPRING WITHIN THE LARGER SITS AGAINST THE EDGE OF THE HOLE IN CEILING AND THE LARGER SITS ON THE INTERNAL BACKSIDE OF CEILING BOARD.

SO, ONLY OFFER THE TWO LARGE CLIPS INTO THE APERTURE AND PUSH FITTING HOME, WHERE UPON THE SPRING CLIPS ROTATE THROUGH 90 DEGREES TO HOLD FITTING IN PLACE.

HOPE THIS MAKES SENSE (MAY TAKE A COUPLE OF READS AND ATTEMPTS)

PS. DONT FORGET TO TURN POWER OFF FIRST!!!

ALDA.

dereknorth
Labourer
Labourer

by dereknorth » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:15 am

Hi Alda

Isn't life simple when you know the answers? Many thanks for the advice. It worked as advertised on the first attempt and I'm extremely grateful to you. My wife will perhaps now stop beating me over the head!

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:17 pm

DEREK,

GREAT NEWS!

REGARDS,

ALDA.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:06 am