downstairs lights not working
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
smoggie
Labourer
Labourer

downstairs lights not working

Post by smoggie » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:37 pm

Hi, we turned our downstairs hall light on last night and all the lights downstairs went off. We've got an old fuse box so I checked the fuse wire and it was ok but I changed it anyway but I still cant get my lights to work. Everything else is ok, upstairs lights etc. Can anyone help please??

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:02 am

Hi smoggie,
Sounds like a conductor has come loose,
Firsty make sure you have isolate supply to lighting circuit and the circuit is safe to work on.
Then check terminals at fuse box are connected correctly for this circuit and no loose cables.
Next i'd start at light fitting nearest fuse box for loose connection at the ceiling rose.
The general rule is if in old colours and I assuming they are since you have re-wirable fuses is;
All reds(live/line/phaes) connected together in central terminal loop on ceiling rose.
then your in coming and out going Neutrals (black) to blue side of lamp flex and your other black which should have a red flag/tag on to brown side of lamp flex.
All earths grouped together in earth terminal.
Remember to stay safe.
KB

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:28 pm