Draft from downlights
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cs94njw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Draft from downlights

by cs94njw » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:56 pm

Hi

Bought a house last year and realised today there's a draft coming down from the downlights in the bathroom.

After buying the house, I had to relay insulation to ~250mm, and so I believe the lights are covered by this.

However, I'm very nervous about covering something that gets hot. A book I read recently says you should build a mini wooden wall around any lamps:

+-----------+ {----- wooden wall
| |
| DOWN- |
| LIGHT |
| |
+-----------+

and ensure the insulation goes around this wall. But this isn't going to stop drafts going down inside the wall, and through the downlight fixing.

I believe my roof is open-eave, as opposed to closed-eave, meaning air flows through the roof.

Can anyone recommend what I should do?

Thank you very much.

Nicholas

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:09 am

The heat should go down through ceiling there are special covers to go over lamps to ensure nothing is set alight from the heat and they are fire proof and not made of wood. I would go to good electrical wholesaler and ask I am sure they will sell you the correct cover.
Another way is cold cathode or LED down lights but I would be a little worried about someone else changing them back at latter date. Again ask at wholesaler.

Eric

cs94njw
Apprentice
Apprentice

by cs94njw » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:09 pm

Excellent - thank you very much.

Sadly all the big DIY stores don't seem to stock it, but there's a couple of websites that do them. Thank you very much!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:23 pm