Drainage Systems in Converted Flat and do I Need to Correct it?
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
georgeflat
Labourer
Labourer

Drainage Systems in Converted Flat and do I Need to Correct it?

Post by georgeflat » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:50 pm

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could help. We live in a flat in a converted terraced Victorian house built between 1896-1914 in east London. Our kitchen waste is connected to a rainwater pipe that drains into a gully and we wanted to make sure that this waste goes to the appropriate drain. We got a plumber around who said that properties of this age have a combined system as evident by the single manhood and that everything is in order.

We mentioned that the road has separate foul and surface water systems and he said that this is irrelevant as the property's drainage system is a combined one and that it would connect to water's authority foul system. For further reassurance he opened the manhole (this is very close to the gully that receives the kitchen waste) which definitely carried foul waste as there was toilet paper there (by there was a pipe running across it). He then run the tap having added dye and although this was draining in the gully neither the water or dye could be seen in the manhole. He was convinced however irrespective of that the property is served by a combined system and that the gull yin question connects to it.

The question I have is that do you think that this is correct? Could the dye not be seen as because the gully opens below what we saw but in the same manhole?

Thanks

lets have a look
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Drainage Systems in Converted Flat and do I Need to Correct it?

Post by lets have a look » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:53 pm

It would be unusual in a property of that age if it goes into a soakaway

georgeflat
Labourer
Labourer

Post by georgeflat » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:47 am

It's all good - another plumber confirmed

georgeflat
Labourer
Labourer

Post by georgeflat » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:30 pm

It has been reviewed again and it's all in order.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:22 am