Driveway gate construction.
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
carruthers
Apprentice
Apprentice

Driveway gate construction.

Post by carruthers » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:55 pm

I am intending to construct a pair of driveway gates 8'6" wide x 5'6" high.
Advice please as to the best type of joints to use and what section of timber. I would like to have a close boarded front. Do I use timber connectors on half laps, how do I fit the diagonal brace to the styles, and should I bold all the vertical boarding to the horizantal rails?

Oddbod
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Oddbod » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:14 pm

Hi. That is quite challenging. Am i right is assuming you want each gate to be 8'6'' wide rather than the pair? If so the quality on the final result is going to be very dependent on the quality of the joints.

You need proper close fitting mortise and tenon joints, preferably draw-bored, rather than half lap with timber connectors.

The cross bracing should be like the cross bracing on a gallows – into the upright on the side the gate is hung, and into the cross-piece at the top.

For good reasons to do with expansion etc the close-boarding is not usually structural. It would typically just be rabbeted into the frame.

Tall and narrow (or even square gates) are much more tolerant of less than perfect construction. Wide and short gates less so. Unless you have some experience I'd suggest leaving this one to the local joiner.

carruthers
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by carruthers » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:37 pm

Hi Oddbod
Thanks for your response.
The overall size is 8'6" wide (so a pair of 4'3"" gates) All joints will have to be hand cut including the mortise and tenons (I am not familiar with 'draw bore') what is this?
Would the inclusion of connectors be of help with the facing boards?
I understand about the cross braces.
Thanks

Oddbod
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Oddbod » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:27 pm

Hi. OK, that is a lot easier. I'm assuming you'll be using treated softwood? 4by2 inch would be fine for the frame, with, 4by1.5 for the bracing. If you cant find it, you'd get away with 4by1.

Ideally you'd still use mortise and tenon joints, but they are quite hard to cut accurately by hand. You'll need a few practice joints first. You might find it easier to cut “through tenonsâ€

carruthers
Apprentice
Apprentice

Drive gates

Post by carruthers » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:43 pm

Hi Oddbod
Many, many thanks for the advice - I think I can do this ok now.
Regards
Curruthers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:41 pm