Dry Rot Present in Floors After Leaking Shower?
Tips, tricks and information on how to spot rogue and cowboy builders and also a platform for you to post and warn others of cowboy builders you may have encountered and help to spread the word of their dodgy dealings

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
martinsolomon
Labourer
Labourer

Dry Rot Present in Floors After Leaking Shower?

by martinsolomon » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:49 pm

Hi, I wonder if anyone could help out with a query regarding dry rot.

I moved into my current property 6 years ago which I knew had a leaky shower. I fixed the leak and when i replaced the bath in the bathroom 6 months later the floor was rotten and had to be replaced. This is now fine.

I have just replaced my kitchen which adjoins the bathroom, and the floor under the units nearest the bathroom was rotten. I have replaced this also.

My concern is whether there could be dry rot present. There was no evidence of any fruiting bodies or strands as far as I can recall, just dry rotten wood.

Is there any danger dry rot could still be present even though the floor has now been replaced and should I take further precautions before covering the floor and forgetting about it?

Many thanks for any expert advice

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Dry Rot Present in Floors After Leaking Shower?

by welsh brickie » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:33 pm

its difficult to say whether its dry rot without examining a sample, I do know that it can travel from one area to another via your tools, so clean them carefully

martinsolomon
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Dry Rot Present in Floors After Leaking Shower?

by martinsolomon » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:35 pm

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes I know it is nasty stuff and can cause real problems. Nothing in terms of rot seems to be present, but some signs of where the rot was active. I may get a damp survey done to put my my mind at rest. Cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:06 pm