Drylining Garage - Help
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
dotnetdave
Labourer
Labourer

Drylining Garage - Help

Post by dotnetdave » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:26 am

Hi All,

I am planning on drylinging my garage just to make it a little more comfortable when working in there and have been reading various forums about how i shoudl go about this but there seems to be so much conflicting advice. So from what i have read this is my current plan, and would like anyone to confirm or correct what i have.

The garage is attached to the house and has a pitched room with loft area, the outer wall and rear wall are of single brick construction with piers and the DPC layer is 2 bricks about the garage floor. So here is the plan

1) Attach 50x50 battens to the walls at 400mm centres, also having a batten at the top and bottom to affix the plasterboard to. In terms of fixing the battens to the wall do i need to place any DPC between the batten and wall, i have looked at using either frame fixings or masonary screws.

2) Push fit xtratherm xt\pr 50mm insulation board inbetween the battens this is a foil covered board so the foil will face inwards away from the wall. Cover the exposed battens with foil tap to create a continuous VPC.

3) Fix 12.5mm standard plasterboard over the top and affix to the battens using drywall screws at 150 centres. I have read that you should only screw around the outside of the board and now down the batten which would be in the middle of the room.

4) Once all walls are complete the ceiling will then be plasterboarded as well and the same insulation placed between the joists.

Let me know what people think
Dave

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:16 am