Durgo smell problem?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
AJAYEL
Labourer
Labourer

Durgo smell problem?

by AJAYEL » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:07 pm

A few years ago we had a durgo valve fitted in our family bathroom (built in next to the sink unit and boxed in) to free up the space taken by the original vent pipe.

Since then we have had the intermittent problem of a foul smell in the bathroom which is gradually occurring more and more. Since my children left home this bathroom is not in daily use. When the smell occurs (at least once a week) I have checked and it is not coming from the bath, bidet, sink or WC as far as I can tell. If I flush the appliances it does not seem to make any difference.

Does this sound like a faulty durgo valve or is there another likely cause?

Also the valve is below the basin waste height, being under the counter top. Is this OK?

muttley
Tradesman
Tradesman

durgo smell

by muttley » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:15 pm

you need to get some ventilation into the boxing for the durgo to work correctley,the water seals in yor traps may be pulled out thru your system,this would lead to those bad smells ,Also check with manufacturers to what height durgo should terminate above traps

muttley
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: durgo smell

by muttley » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:54 pm

[quote="muttley"]you need to get some ventilation into the boxing for the durgo to work correctley,the water seals in yor traps may be pulled out thru your system,this would lead to those bad smells ,Also check with m
anufacturers to what height durgo should terminate above traps[/quote]Definitley should be higher than the wash hand basin

Bay Plumbing
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Bay Plumbing » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:30 pm

I usualy put Durgos above the cistern of the wc

richieplum
Apprentice
Apprentice

durgo smell problem

by richieplum » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:12 pm

By the nature of durgos ( automatic air admittance valves ), they should not be fitted as an alternative to natural ventilation, as they are not ventilation at all. Unless faulty they don't smell. If the spring goes they smell something rotten, and allow methane into the room. Not nice at all. As for the height they should be fitted, the manufacturers stipulate they should be fitted above flood level. Some plumbers like to fit them one metre above FFL ( finished floor level ), but if the water is getting that high, its been coming out over the toilet for some while, so in theory they only need to be some short distance above the rim of the WC. As just about every WC measures 16" ( except disabled suites , 18" ), 20" should be enough[/i]

hugton
Labourer
Labourer

Durgo smell problem.

by hugton » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Your problem with bathroom smell and the installation you describe is almost exactly the same as ours. The main difference appears to be that we notice foul smell mainly first thing in the morning, not during the daytime. I would be very interested to know what you have actually done to try to eliminate the smells and to what extent you have been successful. My thoughts at the moment tend towards having the vent pipe directed horizontally through the wall (below worktop height so that it is still not visible from inside the bathroom) and then up the wall to terminate above eaves level. I am still trying to get the original plumber/installer in to look at the problem and get his observations.

hut27
Labourer
Labourer

Air Admittance Valve Problems

by hut27 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:44 pm

Hi, A few years ago I went to a job where Tenant was complaing of Blocked Toilet in new building at first floor level (Over Stables). I tried the usual Plunger Trick to no avail. On finding a Durgo Valve in box Duct in bathroom I removed it to check Soil Pipe was clear. Immediately all was cured and the Cistern Flushed several times, I removed Manhole on drains outside at ground level, all found clear. I took Durgo to bits and all looked okay, Replaced and left. 3 weeks later Toilet was blocked again, Same proceedure followed except this time I fitted new Durgo Valve. 3 weeks later, Toilet was blocked again. Not to look a fool again I extended Soil Vent up through roof and that was the end of the problem. I am fully convinced these type of valves should NOT be used as an alternative to a properly Vented Soil sytem but only as an add on to admit air to prevent Trap Evacuation or Sucking noises on extended runs.

winnerkev
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Durgo smell problem.

by winnerkev » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:05 am

hugton wrote:Your problem with bathroom smell and the installation you describe is almost exactly the same as ours. The main difference appears to be that we notice foul smell mainly first thing in the morning, not during the daytime. I would be very interested to know what you have actually done to try to eliminate the smells and to what extent you have been successful. My thoughts at the moment tend towards having the vent pipe directed horizontally through the wall (below worktop height so that it is still not visible from inside the bathroom) and then up the wall to terminate above eaves level. I am still trying to get the original plumber/installer in to look at the problem and get his observations.

Hi I would very much like to know how this problem was resolved as this is identical to our problem. Our builder has checked for leaks around toilet pan and pipe conections and they are fine.

HITmeHARD
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Durgo smell problem?

by HITmeHARD » Sun May 08, 2016 12:12 pm

I had this problem with a bathroom in a new location in an old house with a septic tank.
We fitted a Durgo Valve to the new soil stack and system was vented to the atmosphere higher up.
That worked perfectly for five years. Then it started to leek stink back into the room just in the evening and early hours.
Because nothing had changed in the system I thought the Durgo valve had given up and replaced it. But it was just the same the next night.
So I lifted the manhole covers in the garden all the way down to the tank but it was running fine, no blockages.
Lifting the covers cured the problem with no smell that night.
The covers had been really tight, sealed with washed in soil and overgrown.
Just that bit of extra air movement around past the manhole covers was enough to balance the pressures and stop the stink. I have never noticed any smell in the garden, so I think it is just small movements of air.
But next time I do a new bathroom I will vent any new stack to atmosphere, even if its extra work and money to get the stack through the roof.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:23 pm