Electric boiler for hot water supply???
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cofotony
Labourer
Labourer

Electric boiler for hot water supply???

by cofotony » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:26 pm

Hi,

I have just bought a flat but it needs work before I move in and I need some advice. It's a 2 bed place, has one bathroom that needs a complete refurb, and I will be adding one en-suite. Not a new build but all flats in the block have electric underfloor heating - there is no gas supply.

Currently the hot water is provided by an immersion heater alone but I am never around at the same times of day. I don't like the idea of constantly heating a tank of water and not using it, nor fancy running out of hot water mid shower or halfway through running a bath. Also, it would allow me to remove a large airing cupboard which currently takes up a lot of room in the bathroom, so for me it justifies the cost (sure I could relocate the boiler/piping via the kitchen or worst case just downsize the cupboard)?!.

I don't fancy 1 or 2 electric shower units. Would an electric boiler be a possible solution bearing in mind the following:

- It doesn't need to heat the flat as that is covered (would a smaller unit be adequate?);

- Although it will be just me initially, I need to "future proof" the place so have to consider that the hot water output would be adequate to cover powering perhaps 2 showers and a running tap in the kitchen for example;

- Not sure how much pressure I get on the mains water;

Thanks for your time, very helpful site!!!

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:13 pm

try Stiebel Eltron DHC9.0 kW unit, obtainable from say for instance(usual disclaimers)
will need 40Amp supply but so do most single showers now,

gc
Labourer
Labourer

by gc » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:23 pm

Sorry gc no external links allowed unless we post them. Many people try to use this site for advertising. If they want to advertise they can go through the advertising page on the website.

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

Electric boiler for shower supplies

by DONFRAMAC » Tue May 08, 2007 2:16 am

I have 26 years industrial experience of the brand quoted, and we only bought in a replacement unit once (same model). Otherwise it just needed occasional attention from our sparkies-- 3 elements, so 3 fuses in it and 3 contactors. The unit was the only one recommended by Kodak, who made the radiograph processor which depended on it.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1