Electric Combi Boiler
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jm_killybegs
Labourer
Labourer

Electric Combi Boiler

by jm_killybegs » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:30 am

Had enough of Oil Prices? me too? looking at alternates, gas isn't an option for me, and was thinking of an electric combi boiler. I've seen a few around, but was wondering if anyone has any feedback on the pros and cons to them?

It's not just Oil Prices, the existing boiler is abotu 30 years old, and very over-worked at the moment, and constantly needing repairs etc, so it's kind of an upgrade/replacement.

Instant hotwater, mains-pressure hot, and getting rid of the immersion, tanks, and oil are the priorities.

Is there a way to conver KW output ratings, to BTU? So I can understand what size boiler I'd need.

Has anyone got any good/bad/positive experience of Electric Combi Boilers?

I can get cheaper Nightrate electricity, and will shortly be putting in own turbine to run the majority of the low wattage household items, so really my only electricity usage would be this boiler and cooker.

Thanks

JM

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:37 pm

Hi,
I have no experience of electric boilers but I'm pretty sure that 24kw = 80000 btus approx.
Hth

Steve

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:42 pm

Hi JM,
I don't have personal experiance of electric combis but do know of the disapointing flow rates on combies generally, both daughters moan about theirs.
Although you say want to get rid of tanks etc we are all electric here & we replaced original immersion tank with one for solar heating with coil for solar, spare coil for any other source IE heat pump & now use solar panel for most hot water with off peak element for top ups in winter & overcast days in summer.
Could then add electric 'boiler' for central heating such as 'heatrae-Sadia' Amptec type which is so small it will fit in cupboard next to immersion tank.Loads of options around but best depends upon your house set up.
We had roof sprayed with foam inside (hot lofting) & need almost no heating in our detached bungalow, although not cheap our energy bills are very low,
regards Sparx

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1