Electric towel warmer connection in bathroom zone 3
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
m7ohn
Tradesman
Tradesman

Electric towel warmer connection in bathroom zone 3

by m7ohn » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:11 pm

Hi, i have a towel warmer located in zone 3 of my bathroom currently plumbed in to the central heating system.

I plan to get it converted to duel fuel and want to know if the switched fused connection unit with flex outlet for the electric element can be located in zone 3 next to the towel warmer or will it have to go outside the bathroom?

If it were to go in the bathroom next to the towel warmer then can i use a switched fused connection unit with built in RCD protection?Can you get switched FSU's with a in built RCD?

Cheers

Marcus

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:11 pm

As I am sure you are aware there is a new BS7671 which has changed what is allowed in bathrooms. Looking in BS7671:2008 I can’t find a Zone 3 for bathroom that’s only in rooms and cabins containing sauna Heaters. You need RCD protection for anything in bathroom and except for shaver socket no switch gear allowed in Zone 2 “701.512.3â€

m7ohn
Tradesman
Tradesman

by m7ohn » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:13 pm

I think the best IP protection for my switched fused connection unit then is on the oposite side of the wall where the towel warmer is, it will then be located in the kitchen via a 4 inch piece of conduit going through the wall to take the flex.

m7ohn
Tradesman
Tradesman

by m7ohn » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:19 pm

with the switched unit outside of the bathroom but the electric element in the bathroom, sealed within the towel warmer, does this circuit still require RCD protection?The element is on the far side of the rail furthest from the bath in zone 1 at 2.3 metres away.

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:08 am

701.411.3.3 Additional protection shall be provided for all circuits of the location, by the use of one or more RCD's having the characteristics specified in Regulation 415.1.1 (i.e. 30ma and 40ms) So yes you need RCD.

m7ohn
Tradesman
Tradesman

by m7ohn » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:40 pm

can i get a RCD protected switched fused connection unit as the connection unit of the towel warmer will be on the kitchen ring main circuit which is not on the RCD side of the Consumer Unit or will the kitchen ring have to be put on the RCD side of consumer unti?

I've seen unswitched RCD connection units but i wanted some control over the towel warmer.

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:04 am

There are a whole host of RCD's availably but the price can get daft. They will all be 30ma at 40ms but you can get active and passive. With active type when power is removed they drop out and you need to press button to re-activate with passive they stay connected in a power cut. You have those which are built into plugs and those built into sockets. And ones built into boxes. You will find the plug type a lot cheaper.
Having said all that you may feel the kitchen should be protected anyway. Here again two ways. Either move the MCB to RCD protected side or fit a RCBO these combine the function of MCB and RCD in one unit. It means if something in rest of house trips the RCD the kitchen will remain working so less likely to lose fridge etc. But some boards can't take them and with some boards they are double thickness to MCB all depends on make. I would visit a good electrical wholesaler like CEF although Screwfix most likely cheaper they will not have the range. All RCD's have test button so easy to switch off when not required. Ones built into plugs are normally cheapest.

skane
Labourer
Labourer

Do Zones apply to Toilets?

by skane » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:58 am

We have a small washroom divided into two areas with an open doorway, there is a toilet on one side and a washbasin on the other, I would like to fit a small heater and could extend a radial circuit which is RCD protected to a position oppisite the toilet and perhaps 2 meters away from the washbasin, the Zone Diagrams I have seen seem to relate only to Baths and Showers, do the Zones apply to this situation?
Steve.

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:42 am

skane no it is neither a bathroom or kitchen so has not special rules but common sense should of course prevail.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:40 pm

Hi several RCD fused connection units are available for around £20, all are switched, even seen them for sale in the 'Sheds',
regards,

skane
Labourer
Labourer

by skane » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:06 am

Many thanks to you both for your replies, thats very useful info, and as you say common sense should apply so I would like to do what I can to make the set up as safe as possible, Im thinking about useing one of those small 500watt flat panel rads mounted on the wall but the ones I have seen (Dimplex type)do not seem to be rated for any "bathroom" zones and I did not really want to use a fan type heater which were the only ones I had found which were rated for bathroom use. Once again, many thanks for your help,
Steve.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:14 pm

skane, try looking at www.tlc-direct.co.uk heaters order codes
jv sh600 for ceramic plate heater 600mm sq.X 9mm thick! 400watts,
jv sh300 " " " " 300mm X 600mm X 9mm @ 200W.

cost £25/ £23 ish each, mounts about 15mm from wall on spacers, so only around 25mm in total!
Completely sealed with long flex so may be useful to you, I have installed many in youth clubs etc. and have several at home, can be painted to match decor,
(usual disclaimers)
BW

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:24 pm